Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rare Bird Chase

Today it was my turn to start a rare bird chase. Driving back from errands in Quakertown, I stopped by Lake Nockamixon to see if there were any birds blown in from the recent storms. When I got to the end of the fishing pier, there was a stunning American Oystercatcher sitting on a rock just off the pier. This is a bird of the seashore, considered Accidental here in PA, and only the second county record. I was so excited I didn't watch it for more than 30 or 40 seconds since all I could think of was that I needed to get to a phone to let others know about the bird. I managed to get another birder on my cell phone, and get the word out, and within an hour at least four others had seen the bird. Very cool.

Elsewhere I saw five Wild Turkeys in Pennsburg, another five at Peace Valley where the Bonaparte's Gulls seen the last few days have apparently moved on, leaving behind hundreds of Tree Swallows and an Osprey.

No comments:

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites