Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Turkey Day

We upheld our family tradition today by driving around all morning looking for Wild Turkeys. We covered both sides of Lake Nockamixon 15 minutes north of our place, without any luck for over an hour and a half. On our third pass along the road where we found the birds last year, I was disappointed to see a man walking his dog and a couple other people walking on the road. No chance of seeing wary turkeys with that many people around, I thought. Then I saw that the man with the dog was looking at something off in the woods. As I pulled up I saw that he was looking at the local turkey flock, walking across an opening about 25 yards from the road. My kids all got some quick looks as a dozen birds lurked off into the woods. Another successful Wild Turkey chase. We're batting .750 for the past four years. A great way to start our Thanksgiving festivities. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Even though I didn't get mine, I enjoyed the hour and a half I spent with a friend looking.
Vern

Mary C said...

Well, you got to see your gobblers this year. Congrats! I hope you and your family had a happy Thanksgiving, too.

Rick Wright said...

Missed 'em on Thanksgiving Day itself, but a gang of 10 was walking up my mother's street in eastern Nebraska the evening before.
Other highlights of a quick visit to the midwest: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Lapland Longspur, Purple Finch, Pine Siskin, and lots of resident species we just don't see here in beautiful warm Tucson!

Nature Blog Network Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites